Well, well, well. The hour is nigh, and you’re in need of a last-minute gift. It’s too late for even the fastest online delivery, and most viable in-person store options are already closed. All that’s left to do is invent an excuse to get out of the house and proceed to sprint to your local 24-hour drug store.
Like a chef turning baskets of mystery ingredients into a three-course meal on Chopped, this category of gifts is all about your innovation. Here are some of our ideas for themed collections, but you can customize at your convenience.
- Movie night: Popcorn. Funky popcorn toppings. Candy. Hot chocolate. Fuzzy socks. A little slip of paper with your Netflix login. You can’t go wrong with a cozy movie-night theme.
- Treat yo’ self: Think spa day materials, like face masks, nail polish, and bath bombs. Throw in a candle to help set the pampering vibe.
- Health and wellness: Browse around for gummy vitamins, supplements, protein powder, and whatever else catches your eye in the fitness aisle. Be warned: This one can quickly get expensive. (Plus, we at Lifehacker believe that vitamins are mostly useless, even if they’re personalized.)
- The Jetsetter: Pick from the array of travel-sized must-haves, including ear plugs and perhaps even a neck pillow (with a note about how to wear it right).
- The Techie: Head to the electronics section and go wild with whatever gadgets are available and within your price range. Portable chargers and speakers are quality gifts in their own right.
In these DIY arrangements, the sum is greater than its parts—which should all be available at most chain drug stores.