The story goes that in 1957 when speaking concerning the comparatively new invention often called tv English novelist, playwright and broadcaster John Boynton Priestly remarked:
“Already we Viewers, when not viewing, begun to whisper to one another that the more we elaborate our means of communication, the less we communicate.”
Or when interpreted by trendy educational varieties:
“That as the quantity of communication methods increases the quality of the communication decreases.”
This is Priestly’s paradox.
While this remark could also be seen variously as cynical, technophobic, outdated or plain incorrect (get with the occasions Priestly and cease being so destructive, you are unsuitable!); I argue that in lots of circumstances within the digital social house we inhabit Priestly was proper on the cash.
Don’t consider me? Imagine explaining the idea of social media to somebody in 1957 (and even 2007 for that matter):
- Express your self – in 140 characters or much less
- Show appreciation towards a press release – by clicking like
- Laugh out loud – do not truly chuckle, simply sort LOL
- Maintain friendships – with individuals you have by no means met
Is it truthful to say that the standard of communication has decreased?
Yes – however this can be a ‘glass half empty’ instance, it lacks context and does not start to the touch on the positives. Social media is a strong software for companies and will be extremely useful from a buyer engagement, B2B networking, public relations and advertising and marketing perspective – relying on how it’s used.
It is the how I want to concentrate on.
Do you will have considered one of ‘these individuals’ in your firm’s Twitter or Facebook who share any and all hyperlinks in any means associated to their discipline on any given day?
“9 Ways to Generate New Leads”, “Must Use App Tracks Social Trends”, “33.3 Ways to Instant Success”.
In a misguided try to be seen as an knowledgeable credible supply or thought chief of their trade these accounts will be seen as annoying, self absorbed and crying out for consideration.With this method there may be often little engagement (besides for giant firms), maybe the odd like or retweet however not often does this methodology incite significant communication. What’s worse is they’re in all probability considered one of 50 individuals in the identical loosely associated discipline that might be sharing the identical factor on the identical day. It’s impersonal, demonstrates a scarcity of concepts and on this occasion proves Priestly right.
I wish to assume social instruments can be utilized to extend the standard of communication so when devising a social media technique for your corporation assume – How can I show Priestly unsuitable?
Here are some concepts:
- A ‘no hyperlink with out context’ coverage: When sharing a hyperlink relate it again to your organization, your clients or your trade and clarify why it is crucial/related/relevant/good/dangerous and so forth. This is simpler mentioned than carried out at 140 characters however that simply emphasises the necessity to consider carefully round posting one thing.
- Creation of our personal authentic content material and commentary: Quite easy actually, the place potential attempt to produce your content material in-house.
- Quality over amount: You’re in all probability not completely fascinated with what your clients had for lunch or the humorous video somebody discovered on their break so why bore them with these particulars. This relates closely to the earlier two factors.
- Use manners: Thank individuals for retweets, welcome new followers and associates and stay amicable regardless of the medium you’re utilizing. You might not be speaking in individual however you possibly can nonetheless be personable.
There will at all times be a point of removedness in social media interactions however following these easy guides (and keep in mind they’re solely guides) might help you craft extra related, participating, private and efficient enterprise communication within the social house.