Though people are connecting more and expressing themselves more through various online channels, at the same time they are also growing increasingly protective of who is given access to these details and who is not. From email accounts to phone screens, everything digital is protected by passwords today. However, this overprotectiveness is totally justified as there are security threats all around us, hackers and eavesdroppers who relentlessly try to access information that is not meant for them.
Emails are one of the biggest victims of security threats and given the confidential nature of emails, dealing with these threats is much essential. Especially in business organizations where emails are the primary means of communication and sensitive information like bank account details, balance sheets, ledgers and operational plans are exchanged every second. A simple breach could result in loss of millions depending on the sensitivity of the information. Email encryption is the answer to these security threats and here’s how it will help business organizations.
What is Email Encryption?
As the name suggests it is the encryption of emails so that any mail sent is accessed by the intended user alone. Generally, an email is sent from a source server to a destination server and hackers try to bypass these emails before they reach the intended destination. However, even if the hacker gets his hands on these emails, they can be password protected so that the sensitive information inside is still out of reach. The mails are password protected using a combination of public and private keys, and only the concerned parties will be aware of the private key needed to open the mail.
Benefits of Email Encryption to Business Organizations
Apart from privacy, there are many other benefits that are offered by encryption services. They are as follows.
• Email encryption services can be directly integrated into the email system that a particular organization is using and there is no need for a different system. Moreover, additional hardware/software installations are not required as well.
• The interface of the email encryption system is very user friendly thus avoiding the need of any training as such. Considering that a lot of people will be using this service, big organizations can save a lot of time and money since there’s no training involved.
• Business organizations are required to comply with a number of security measures such as HIPAA, PCI DSS, GLBA and FERPA, which expect the organization to safeguard the privacy of its employees and its operations. Email encryption services will serve as an added advantage in this regard.
• Phishing attacks can be avoided using encryption services as they allow the recipients to establish that the message is coming from a credible source. This in turn ensures hassle free communication and speedy delivery of the emails.
• Lastly, email encryption services offer additional security controls like regulating the maximum number of views, read receipts, retract ability of messages and so on.