Have you ever felt alone in your desire to be creative and wanted to connect with like minds but weren’t sure where to begin? Do you live in an isolated community or is the kind of art you love too “out there” for people in your area? Fear not! Help is out there. You can find your creative tribe, enrich your life and find the inspiration and encouragement that you desperately need by following these 11 tips. A juicier, happier and passionate life awaits you I guarantee it!
11 Ways to help you find your Creative Tribe
1. Join a social networking site such as MySpace and find friends or groups who share your interest.
2. Join Yahoo groups, search for a particular area you are interested in such as quilting or art marketing and join a group. Be sure to share your ideas and comment on what others are saying. You can develop friendships that way.
3. Post messages on blogs, join messageboards and frequently comment and respond to what others are saying as well.
4. Start your own creative blog and link up with other creatives.
5. Join art swaps. You get to know people that way, increase your creativity and the bonus is you collect some fabulous art in the process!
6. Post notices in your local bookstore, art shop and in your community newspaper. Mention that you are searching for likeminded individuals. Host the first meeting in a coffee shop.
7. Check out craigslist in the arts section and see if there are other artists searching for connections or post your own ad and form a group. Be proactive!
8. Browse in bookstores or art stores and notice interesting, creative people. Strike up a conversation to see if they are artistic and ask if you can take them out for coffee. This takes a bit more chutzpa but is often worth it in the end. Who knows? They could become your new best friend!
9. Frequent art shows or festivals in your area, chat with folks and ask if they know of any gatherings of creative spirits which you might fit into.
10. Be brazen and go to a funky coffee shop with your sketch book and art supplies. Make a cool, colorful sign that you can stand up or put in a Plexiglas holder. Write on the sign “Funky artist looking for Creative friends!”.
11. Host an Art Party in your home and invite people you think would be creative to come. Ask each person to invite someone as well. Plan a particular craft in advance and ask the attendees to bring some basic supplies while you provide special materials to complete the project.
Do some or all of the above and I am certain you will find your Creative Tribe! When you approach your search with a positive expectant frame of mind you are bound to attract wonderful things to yourself. Remember to be grateful for everything you already have. Gratitude brings more good things into your life!